Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Honduran Driver’s License

Seeing as how my Illinois driver’s license was stolen when I was robbed at knife point back in July, and knowing that I was expecting more visitors from the states, I decided to get my Honduran driver’s license. This way I’d be able to drive my visitors around the countryside, rent a car, and take weekend trips with volunteers. Plus, it would be a great souvenir. It took me four trips to the Honduras DMV until they finally gave me my Honduran driver’s license. I had to make sure I had all the paperwork, stand in numerous lines, and pay a fee. No written exam, no driver’s test…nothing. In order to get your Honduras driver’s license, here’s what you need:

Medical and vision exam (the doctor at the ranch wrote up a quick note, signed and stamped it, without examining me at all)
Letter from NPH stating why I am here and that I am applying for residency
Copy of passport
Blood type (test available at the DMV for 50 lempiras ($2.50)
About 200 lempiras ($10) to get you a driver’s license that is valid for one year

Driving in Honduras isn’t as bad as one might imagine. I’d say driving in Europe is way worse. A few things to look out for when driving in Honduras: pot holes, cars passing on blind curves, people throwing trash out of bus windows, cows, and dogs. Also, make sure you have a clue as to where you are going, because there are not many signs to lead the way.

2 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you miss the Grand Am ?
Congrats on your driver's license.
Now there's nothing to hold you down.
Can't tell tou how very much I've enjoyed your blog updates. It's almost as good as taking a coffee break together......almost.
love you lots
Mo

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home