Friday, July 20, 2007

Liendres



What are “liendres” you may ask? Liendres are lice eggs. Just as lice is a common nuisance here on the ranch, so are liendres. Piojos/lice can vary in size, crawl around your head, and can be seen from far away. Liendres, on the other hand, are much smaller and stick to a strand of hair. I have been fortunate to make it over a year on the ranch, being close to my girls, living in communal housing with close to 600 orphans, and sharing everything without having lice...until now.

I had noticed this past weekend that many of my girls have way more lice than normal. You can visibly see them crawling in their hair (when I say ‘them’, I mean A LOT of them). The other night in hogar my head was itching a little bit, so I asked Jamileth to “revisarme”/check me for piojos. All the kids are pros at checking for lice, picking them out like monkeys, and killing them with their finger nails. It didn’t take long for Jamileth to find that I had liendres. She brought out a fine tooth comb and a white piece of paper and began combing through my hair, with the liendres falling onto the white piece of paper so you can catch and see them. I didn’t really freak out. I was actually surprised that I had made it this long without having lice. However, right after hogar I ran up to the clinic to get some Piojex/lice shampoo and treatment. The employee in the clinic also gave me a “recipe” to get rid of liendres. The directions state that I should wet my hair with vinegar for 20 minutes and then apply mayonnaise and wrap with cellophane to asphyxiate the liendres. After a few hours I should wash with the Piojex, dry, and comb the liendres and piojos out of my hair (along with washing all my bed sheets and pillow cases). Last night I followed the directions and completed the “liendres treatment”. It wasn’t so bad, although my hair smells really bad today. Suyapa, one of the girls in my hogar, “revisared” me during recreo/recess and she said that she found a few liendres, but they were all dead. Guess that means the treatment was a success! haha

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home