Thursday, May 17, 2007

Here, yet so far away...


Well, I have three more months to go here in Honduras. Crazy to think that I’ve been here for 10 months. I should be enjoying the moment, having fun in my job, relishing this great experience and adventure. However, recently I’ve been doing more planning and preparation for when I leave, that at times I feel like I’m already gone.
I blame it partly on my job responsibility of Volunteer Coordinator. In reading applications and making decisions for new volunteers arriving in August 2007 and January 2008 (when I won’t even be here!) it’s really taken me out of the moment. It’s advanced my mentality in getting ready to leave.
Also, since I will be returning home close to the beginning of the 2007-2008 school year, I’ve been having a few phone interviews to hopefully have a job waiting for me as a school-based speech-language pathologist when I get home. I’m interviewing in school districts in Kent County, Michigan...I’ll keep you posted on what happens. It’s exciting and hopeful to know that I may have a job when I get home, but it’s causing some stress and worry now.
I’ve also begun planning my “despedida”/going away party for my hogar. This is a tradition on the ranch, and over the years has become quite a big deal. I will be writing future blogs with my ideas and plans as they develop.
To make the end even more of a reality, I’ve booked my flight home. I will be flying home to Detroit, Michigan on Friday, August 17 2007. Exactly three months from today. My plan is that I will leave the ranch on Saturday, August 11. I will then bus it to Copan, Honduras where I will be doing a four-night yoga retreat at Hacienda San Lucas. I am so excited for this. This is my reward to myself for all I have done and gone through this year. The package includes a four-night stay at Hacienda San Lucas, daily yoga classes, two massages, a guided meditation, and organic, vegetarian meals. I also plan on having a spa day at the hot springs.
As you can see, there are many preparations and planning that have already gone into my departure. Maybe it is a good thing though, and will make it an easier transition for when I leave. Now that the most important things are taken care of, I am hoping I can sit back, relax, and enjoy the next three months!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home