Saturday, August 05, 2006

Shaken up, but doin alright

Well, the term "third world country" rang true for me today, as I was robbed and assaulted at knifepoint. Before I tell what happened, know that I am okay!

Two other girl volunteers and I were walking down the street in Tegucigalpa. We were walking single file b/c the sidewalks are very narrow. It was the middle of the day on a Saturday in a relatively safe area where the volunteers walk through often. I was walking last in line and had on my purse that goes across my body (so I felt safe). I was also carrying a grocery bag. All of a sudden, two guys (early to mid 20's) came up behind me and I felt a tug on my back. I quick turned around and realized they were trying to steal my purse. One of the guys had cut the strap with a knife. I started yelling NO, NO and trying to get the purse away from them. That's when the other guy pulled the knife on me. He lifted it in the air and aimed it at my arm. At that point, Vanessa (one of the volunteers) also started yelling and tried to help me. Seeing the knife, though, I gave up the fight and let the purse go. I chased them and tried to get other people's attention, but they got away. I'm lucky nothing worse happened.
My pinky finger on my right hand is a little messed up. My pinky was stuck in the clasp of the purse as they were yanking it away. Lucky for me, Monica (my new roommate) is a nurse. On the spot, she made a make-shift splint, which really helped. When I got back to the ranch, I saw the doctor. She made me a splint and recommends I go get an x-ray on Monday to make sure it isn't fractured. I'll keep you posted as to the results.
Petty theft is very common here. All they probably wanted was my cash and cell phone and probably ditched the purse. I'm doing surprisingly well. Everyone here has really helped me by cancelling my credit cards, loaning me money, etc. I feel a little bothered, a little mad, a little violated, and a little victimized. Then again, for all the traveling I've done in my life, I've been very lucky. This could've (and does) happen to anyone. I learned a lesson. This no longer feels like a vacation. My street smarts have to be increased and I've got to be alert at all times.

3 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl!! wow im soo sorry that this happened to you!! i am very glad to hear that you are ok for the most part and that things did not get worse!! I miss you greatly and got your message the other day ...im very sorry i missed your call!! i would have loved to talk to you...but it was great to hear the sound of your voice!!! Good luck with everything and i hope your finger is ok ...keep us posted!!

I love and miss you
Rachael

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Lord! Thank God you are alright. The material things definately make life incovenient but can be replaced. Maybe you should look into getting some pepper spray or something along those lines just so you can feel a little better even if you never have to use it. Take care!
Love,
ed

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sara,
What a drag that you had to go through that - I am so sorry. But is sure does sound like you are coping well! How is your finger? Hope everything is fine now. Take care and be safe!! Love, Lori

P.S. I think the pepper spray is a great idea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home