Friday, March 09, 2007

Speech Therapist et al.


My primary job when I came to the ranch was to be a speech-language pathologist. This is true. I also knew that I would be working in an hogar/home during the evenings and alternating weekends. Well, since my arrival my job description has grown.

In July during orientation I took on an extra job, that of coordinator of Proyecto Familiar/Family Projects. Since the kids on the ranch all live in their respective hogars, brothers and sisters do not live together, and don’t always get to spend lots of quality time together. Proyecto Familiar is something that we, as volunteers, offer to the kids to allow brothers and sisters to spend some family time together. Every weeknight a volunteer is assigned to a family and between 5:00-7:30pm they come to Casa Personal, make dinner together, play games, chat, and hang out as a family. My job is to keep an updated list of all the families on the ranch, keep track of when it’s their turn for proyecto, to assign families to a volunteer, and to make the monthly calendar.

In February, Julia, the other speech-language pathologist from Austria finished up her 13-month commitment and returned home. I, in turn, took on her caseload and have a pretty full schedule.

Just within the past week, Jennifer, the volunteer coordinator (from Ohio), approached me and asked if I would take on some of her job responsibilities since she is leaving and has no one to replace her. I am now going to add External Volunteer Coordinator to my job title. In addition to the other jobs I’m already doing on the ranch, I will now also be in charge of answering information requests by potential volunteers, reviewing and making decisions of applications, placing new volunteers in needed jobs, maintaining contact with incoming volunteers (sending information and answering questions), and maintaining contact with the international offices.

Needless to say, I am going to be quite busy during my remaining five months on the ranch. I am looking forward to it though, and hopefully will be able to handle it all and have fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home