Saturday, August 26, 2006

My First "Turno"

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUSTIN!!!

This weekend is my first working weekend with my hogar. Last night I volunteered to do "turno" (sleeping at the hogar) with one of the tias. It was really fun. We had dinner together as usual (black beans, mantequilla/butter, bread) and then went to the sala/living room, where the girls were putting on a concert. One of the girls, Digna, was all dressed up with a fake microphone singing all sorts of popular Spanish tunes. It was hilarious. They call her "Michael Jackson". Then a few of us went to the dormitorio/bedroom (a big room full of 3-story bunk beds). I had a Self magazine in English. The girls were all so intrigued and interested in it. They liked the ads more than the stories, as well as all the pictures. I showed them a few yoga poses and they showed me their photo albums. When it came time to get ready for bed, the girls all gathered around to watch me take out my contacts. They were amazed!!! It was really funny. They had never seen anyone wear contacts before. They also watched to see how I brushed my teeth. At times, I feel like I am in the movie Annie. Seriously. Twenty-six girls running around, mopping the floors, singing songs, playing, doing the dishes, etc. It's not that far off if you're looking for an image. I slept okay in the hogar. On Saturday morning we had breakfast (friend eggs, avocado, rice) and then headed outside to do aseos/chores. It is my working weekend, so I attempted to work right alongside them. The aseo for Saturday was chopeando/chopping the grass. They do not have lawn mowers on the ranch; they use machetes. Imagine, kids as young as five-years-old, using machetes to cut the grass. It's very common here...and they love laughing at the new volunteers (a.k.a. "gringos") who attempt to learn. Well, they gave me a short lesson, and then I grabbed the machete and started chopping the grass. All the girls were cracking up. "Mas abajo"/lower, "a los raices"/to the roots, were some of the advice the girls shouted out to me. I eventually got the hang of it, and the girls said I was a quick-learner. Afterwards we lounged outside picking piojos/lice and liendres/lice eggs out of the girls hair. It sounds gross, but it's very common. We looked like little monkeys picking at their heads. It's no wonder they have lice: they share everything and I don't think they wash their sheets that often. The tias were picking out lice with the same comb for each girl. In the afternoon we had almuerzo familiar/family lunch in the maranon/boys ranch. That was pretty fun, especially now that I'm getting to know more of the kids and making connections as to who are the siblings. I then retreated back to Casa Personal/volunteers' house for some rest and a ducha/shower. The actividad/activity for Saturday night was a movie under the stars. We watched the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in Spanish. It was a beautiful night. Just like being at a drive-in, without the cars. We then had elote/corn on the cob for a merienda/snack and went to bed. It was a nice working weekend; I'm feeling a lot closer with the girls in my hogar.

**Picture of Digna, Estrellas de Belen**

2 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara, your blog is like reading a page turning novel. And the best part is I'm learning Spanish! What is most poignant to me is what an amazing gift you are to these kids. Thanks for sharing your adventures! Be happy and safe, Lynn K

 
At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara,You had mentioned earlier about the hand me down clothes the kids wear. Once again I ask is there any way we can help from here? Can we send money or collect clothes to send to the ranch?
I am sure all the people who are reading your journal would be willing to help.
Rosario

 

Post a Comment

<< Home