Thursday, September 21, 2006

Sopa de Menudo

I have to report that I have done something new: I tried sopa de menudo last night. This is a soup where they use all the leftover pieces of the chicken (heart, neck, feet, liver, pancreas). I didn't love it, but the neck wasn't too bad. The kids here go crazy over it; they suck the patas/feet and ask for more. They are so interested in the way we extranjeros/foreigners react to their food. They ask questions like, "Do they have _____ in the United States?" Tonight I told them that no, we do not eat all these parts of the chicken normally and they were shocked. "That is such a waste", "Do you think they could send the extra parts here to the ranch?", "Do they just throw the rest of the chicken away?", "In Honduras we use up the whole thing." They couldn't believe it. Still, they were entertained by my facial expressions as I tried each organ and were happy to get second helpings off of my plate.

**Questions from mom**
Is there someone overseeing this " cardboard box therapy"?
Next door to Casa Angeles there is a day school called Arca de Esperanza. The employees there are "trained" in this program and supposedly oversee how it is carried out in Casa Angeles. However, Teresa from Germany tells me that they do even more bizarre therapy activities there, so I don't even want to know!

Also for your feeding program, are you following a plan or developing your own?
Past speech therapists leave informes/reports on each child before they leave. Also, I am lucky in that there are two speech therapists right now and Julia is able to provide me with lots of information about the kids since she's been here since January. There is no "plan" or structure to therapy, and with the lack of oral motor materials we are forced to be creative. Current therapists here say that Casa Angeles is the perfect place to "experiment", which I am finding to be quite true. I do a lot of oral stimulation such as, facial massage, using an electric toothbrush on the face and in the mouth, using suckers for tongue strengthening and coordination, and helping with posture and positioning during feeding times.

Is there any paperwork at all so progress can be measured?
Twice a year we write informes/reports on the pequenos on our caseload. These are similar to reports we write for IEP's in the schools at home; however, they're in Spanish. We also keep daily logs of therapy activities and progress notes, but nothing official.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home